All About That Body!

Guest Contributor Jade Coney

Summer is here! This is one of the most dreaded seasons for some women. Why? Body exposure. I know, because I used to dread it myself. 

Being a plus sized woman, swimsuit shopping has always been a daunting task. One piece? Two pieces? A sweat suit? HA! We’ve all had that moment where we’ve felt too skinny or two fat. Didn’t think we had breasts big enough for the top or a behind worth the new swimsuit bottoms that show off more butt than cover. 

Well a couple summers ago, it was time. Time to search high and low for the perfect one piece. Covered up everything that I was uncomfortable showing and probably three different types in all black. Seemed like a safe bet. When I was searching online, I saw a picture that said, “How to get a bikini body – Put a bikini on!” In that moment, I was encouraged. Sure! I have rolls, back fat, stubborn belly fat and good ol’ cellulite. I also know some of that was also compliments of a little blessing I received 8 years ago; my daughter. To some those are horrible things, but to me, that’s what makes me a WOMAN. I love me, who I am and my body in its entirety so why not embrace it!
That summer I searched online at Forever 21 and found a two piece. About a week later, I got it, tried it on and BAM! I felt a confidence like never before. My thighs weren’t covered, my stomach was showing, my arms were out; essentially I was … free. I stepped out on that beach that summer without a care in the world. I felt empowered. The funny part is the swimsuit I was most afraid of wearing made me feel most comfortable.



Since that summer, I have bought bikinis ONLY. This is my body, I love it and that’s all that matters. I said all of this to say, do not limit yourselves to your own mind. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. “BEAUTY is a feeling. Not a shape, size or color.” This summer step outside of your box, own your curves, flaunt them and most importantly, learn to love every inch of yourself because self-love is the greatest middle finger of all time!



Comments