My Struggle With Body Image Has Been A Life-Long Battle



My struggle with body image has been a life-long battle. It is one that is constantly evolving as a learn more about myself. I am 36 years old and still learning. I was thin and fit until I was 21. I got pregnant, did the “eating for two” thing and gained 100 extra pounds by the end of my pregnancy. It took 5 years to lose 60 of those extra pounds. Just when I was starting to feel like my old self, my health battles began. I got on a medical issue roller coaster that would cause all sorts of changes in my body. I gained weight. I battled depression. At 30, I fought cancer for the first time and that really did a number on my self esteem. I lost my hair. I gained weight from the steroids. My body was covered in new scars. I began to feel fat, ugly, and useless. Since then, my existence has consisted of looking for the next diet that was going to change everything or wishing I had the money or space for a home gym because I was too ashamed to join one. I thought that I would be magically happier if I could just be thin. 
 

Then something sort of magical happened about a year ago. My daughter turned 14 and started criticizing little things about her body. She would stand in the mirror and suck in her stomach or point out any bulge and call it fat. She sounded exactly like me. I don’t want my daughter to walk through life thinking that thin equals beautiful. I want her to be healthy, strong, intelligent, and independent. That was the day I started making some changes. Now, I am not going to lie. These bad habits of self-hate are super hard to break. I am focusing on one thing at a time and working to see myself in a different light. I eat healthier and move but I am not counting calories or anything like that. One thing I have noticed, my daughter has stopped looking for “fat” every time she tries on clothes. That’s a step in the right direction.  

Guest Blogger Shari Solis
Northglenn, CO


Comments