Setting Healthy Living Goals


Laura Beus
SSSP Volunteer Coordinator


I have been lucky enough to volunteer and recruit other volunteers for the SSSP. One of the Keys we talk about in our workshops and class series is Healthy Living and this is very close to my heart. Every New Year, my kids and I make a family resolution and for 2019 was Healthy Living. This meant very different things for myself, my son (20) and daughter (16). We did lots of research, we talked about what was important to us, what we struggled with and what our personal goals were. We came up with these points and remind each other of them often to help each other keep up with our goals. It has been a great way to keep accountable for our goals and successes.

1. Have a bedtime. Getting enough sleep is good for everything ranging from weight, mood, to even the immune system. One of the simplest things you can do to ensure you get enough sleep each night is to set a bedtime. Forgive yourself if you can't meet it every night (I tell myself I need to be in bed by eleven, but life gets in the way, and all of a sudden it's 1:30 a.m.), but make a point to try to stick to it.



2. Cut out sugar where you can. I am and admitted emotional eater. When I am sad, I eat, when I am anxious, I eat. And it is usually a years worth of gummy bears or Chinese food. But, the more I learned about how too much sugar affects the body the more I realized I had to wean myself off the sweet stuff. I started small. I don't buy cakes or cookies from the store, so I'm not tempted to eat them. Instead, when I’m feeling a craving I have a piece of fresh fruit, a peach, or some grapes. And, how much more fun is that to shop at Farmers markets than at the local grocery stores.


3. Food Prep. Every Sunday and Wednesday I food prep for the next couple of days. If you can plan ahead the meals you are eating, you don’t have to decide if you are going to eat that Pizza slice or that salad. It is already ready for you and you will be able to avoid cravings and eating when board. I do that all the time!

4. Have fun with Exercise. I thought I never used to exercise, but then I changed the way I looked at it, I realized all these great ways that don’t even feel like exercise. I walk my dog, I dance in my family room, I clean my house. These are all exercise. But, learn to have fun with it and switch it up as much as you can. Go for a hike, take a hip hop dance class, go swimming.


5. Know when to stay off your phone. This is another one of those things I'm still trying to be better at. There are times for Instagramming and texting, and there are times where it's truly obvious you're not present because your eyes are glued to your screen. Be Present and let's all make a point to end the madness.

6. Drink more water.  Not only does drinking water keep you feeling full, it is also a way to not drink sugary beverages. When you are drinking water, you are not drinking soda or sugary juice. It is also great for your skin and complexion.


7. Stop worrying so much.  Worrying isn't actually action. Worrying is just getting in your own head, creating a spiral of worst-case scenarios that often don't even end up happening that is very rarely productive. Instead, focus on the present. Identify what is actually in your control and what is really important from a long term perspective. Is this going to matter tomorrow? Next week?


8. Make Daily Time for Mental Clarity. Take time to clear your head, make a plan for the day, what do you really want to accomplish today? We, as a family, have all started to take at least 10 minutes every morning to identify these things and start our day out with a clear and focused mind. If there is time, we will also include some yoga, stretching and mindful music.

Comments