Smiles are Contagious, Is Yours Worth Catching?



Michelle Nemnich - Our SSS Project Blog and Facebook Admin

Years ago, during a lesson at church, a sister handed out a quote she had made into a magnet for us. It read "Smiles are Contagious, Is Yours Worth Catching?". I'm not sure why this quote has stuck with me all these years, but when someone ask what my favorite quote is this is the one that comes to mind. Maybe it's because of it's simplicity and it ease to remember or maybe I realized that day how something so small can make such an impact. Whatever the reason I thought it was great inspiration for my post today.


Now I'll admit, I'm probably not the poster child for radiating smiles and joy at all times. You know those people you see in public that just ooozzzz happiness? Well I've been told on many occasions that I suffer from RBFS. Now I won't spell that out, but most of you will get the gist. I think that I've gotten better over the years, but some might say otherwise. HOWEVER, when I'm out in public I really do try and go out of my way to smile at those that impact me or make a positive impression on me at any given moment. It's taken practice, but as I've gotten older I want those I come in contact with to know that they are worthy of a smile. Everyone is worthy of a smile! When I searched this quote in a picture format I realized it's actually "Attitudes are Contagious, Is Yours Worth Catching". I already know my memory isn't as sharp as it use to be, but the concept is basically still the same. Our attitude and smiles are BOTH contagious. What I did find were variances such as "Smiles are Contagious, Go Forth and Contaminate" or "Smiles are Contagious, Pass them On!". I found one from Dolly Parton I really liked.


Smiling not only influences others on the outside it impacts us physically on the inside. When looking for the scientific influences and research on the topic here are all the positives I found out there on the web...

1. Smiling can make you look younger - a small study showed that younger students perceived older people with smiles on their faces as younger than their actual age. That's a positive for sure!

2. Smiling elevates your mood and creates a sense of well being - every time you smile your brain has a mini party with dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin.

3. Smiling induces more pleasure in the brain than chocolate - now some might disagree with this one,  but British researchers found that one smile can generate the same level of brain stimulation as up to 2,000 bars of chocolate.

4. Even a forces smile can lead to a mood boost - sometimes we smile because of joy, but sometimes smiling can bring us joy. Forcing a smile can be the simple action that can change your mood for the better.

5. Smiles make you seem likeable and competent - if you look sad or anxious others may wonder about your actions and intentions.

6. Smiling makes you more approachable - in a work environment this can make a huge impact on how customers or fellow employees respond to you on a daily basis. It also comes back to you being perceived more competent and more caring.

7. Smiling actually retrains the brain for the better - by making smiling a part of our everyday practice, we help our brains create happiness loops that encourage more positive-thinking patterns.

8. Smiles may strengthen the body on a cellular level -  In the book, Secrets of Your Cells, Barrett explains how cells can distinguish between safety and danger, find and repair problems and create an overall sense of balance within the body. It boost your immune system and lowers your blood pressure.

9. Smiling can make you more creative and boost your productivity - positive emotions prove invigorating, negative ones are equally draining.

10. SMILES ARE FREE!!!! Smiles are available to us each and every day. They are an unlimited source of power for you and those around you. Take advantage of that power.




Comments