Mother's Day...It's complicated!



Mother’s Day can be a very complicated thing. Some look forward to be showered with non-stop love and affection, some dread it, some long for the years gone by, some feel inadequate, some relish in the love they’ve established with their adult children, and some simply wish the day didn’t even exist on the calendar.  

In my circle of friends I see every last one of these feelings surrounding me today and it’s TOUGH! I lost my mother over 17 years ago and she missed a lot. Mother’s Day reminds me of all the things we should have shared together and didn’t because of her life style choices. I have a step mother I rarely talk to. I love her and wish it didn’t end up this way, but it has. Fault doesn’t matter, it is what it is. The bottom line is I sit here and wish I had a mom to call.

I have friends who are empty nesters. Some have their children home today, some don’t. Some of those same friends are taking it in strides, others are struggling. Some of my friends are blessed to have school age kids still at home AND the blessings of a mom still living.  I kindly remind these woman that they are very lucky!

One underlining factor with most of my friends is some type of issue with an imperfect mother. The reasons vary and the level of intensity varies. Some may have only sent a card in the mail today, some may make the obligatory phone call, some may choose to avoid the situation all together and choose to go on about their day as normal. The bottom line is…everyone feels differently for WHATEVER reason. Their reason doesn’t matter, because the reason is their own.

I’m not one for tip toeing around those who may get their feelings hurt easily or those who want to have you share in their negativity on this day. Call me insensitive, but it’s the truth. I believe there is too much good around us to not celebrate this day in some capacity. We may not have the best mother, in fact she may suck really bad, but each of us should be able to reach out and celebrate with a mother who is loving. For some it may be a little harder than others, but instead of focusing on the bad, lets focus on the good. Let’s lift those same women and remind them why they are loved. Reach out to your friends who are amazing mothers and may be struggling and praise them for the good that they do. Praise them for breaking a negative cycle if that was the case. Remind them that they have worth regardless of the decisions made by others. Relationships are a two way street. If someone has given and not received in return, there is a point where one must walk away and come to a certain level of peace with that decision...and it's OKAY. Sparklers, just share your shine today and remind the other sparklers around you why they shine!




Love you,
Michelle 


ps. Don't forget to tell your children why you love being a mom! 

Comments