Down with a case of FOMO

Over the passed few months my best friend has diagnosed me with a case of…  FOMO!
AKA: Fear of Missing Out!! 

I see friends on Facebook and Instagram who go traveling to Rome, Paris, etc all the time. Most of these same friends seem to be buying houses too, all while not being more than a year or two out of college. This month marks 2 years since I graduated college.  I have not left the country before in my life, have had my fair share of financials struggles in the past year, and I'm far from buying a home.  Yet, I see friends who are in the same stage of life taking selfies in Paris and hanging it in the living room of their new house.

Did I become bitter a little bit? Yes, yes I have. Until this year, I had never understood how social media could influence how people felt about and viewed their own life. There were a few months this past year when it influenced my self-worth because I felt like I was doing something wrong with my life and didn’t have that same selfie framed in my living room.
Following my diagnoses, I talked a lot about this with my best friend. She pointed out all the things I do that are exciting and gave me a pep talk that led me to this conclusion: my life is just as exciting as the Facebook friend in Rome and just because my life has been given a different hand of cards doesn’t mean I am doing anything wrong.

I also realized that right now just may not be my time. My time to see the world may be in 5,20, or however many years and our time to buy a house may be in 2025. Who knows? All I know is right now is not our time, and I believe the big man above has different opportunities and trails in store for each one of us at different times. I am glad that my best friend made me realize my case of FOMO so I could no longer be in denial and find a way to treat it.

Ever since I started my “treatment”, my case of FOMO has greatly improved. I feel so much better about where I am in life and feel optimistic that exciting desires and events will happen in the right time for my family. Besides that, I am SO INCREDIBLY blessed; I have an amazing and hardworking husband, I was able to find an amazing and fulfilling job, I am able to see my family often, I have incredible friends, I am watched over by my Heavenly Father, I get to indulge in my hobbies, and I have been able to travel to a lot of places in this amazing country.  Lastly, but not least I have the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project. Every time I work on SSSP I get to take part in something that brings me happiness and brings me purpose.

Moral of the story, if you get struck with a case of FOMO, think of your many blessings and realize right now may just not be your time!

With Love,
Ciara

Comments