Building Self-Esteem Does Not Happen Overnight


Laura Beus
Volunteer Coordinator with the 
Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine Project 

I always had a good friend group growing up and did not battle with negative self-image or low self-esteem. I did however; grow up in a different time where social media was not flooded with a skewed sense of body image, bullying and pressures about what a "successful" or "normal" life trajectory looks like. So, Individual worth and self-love did not become important to me until about 6 years ago.
I remember my daughter coming home from her first week in Junior High talking about all the new girls she had met. She did not talk about their hobbies or interests but rather comparing her physical appearance. I could tell she was feeling overwhelmed and anxious about who she was. I knew then that I needed to be a woman she could look up to. I needed to encourage her to keep her amazing individual personality, awesome fashion sense, and at the same time accept others for their individuality. 

As I started reading blogs, articles and books and really digging deep into these topics, I started to question even my own self-confidence and self-worth. It was then when I remembered a quote that I think about every day.

“If you want to learn something, read about it. If you want to understand something, write about it. If you want to master something, teach it.” Yogi Bhajan.
So, that is what I did. I began to read, write and teach. I became a Mentor and Facilitator for a women’s development group at work. I joined a book club where we concentrate on self-development books, mainly for women and young girls. I made volunteering a family event and something we do on a regular basis. Now I am so lucky to volunteer for the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project. My daughter is even volunteering with me when she can.
Building self-esteem is not something that happens overnight. It is really something that is a lifestyle and mindset of always wanting to develop yourself to the best you can be. As I continue this on a daily basis in my own life, I am so lucky to have also watched my daughter become a very self-confident woman. I am excited to continue to grow and support other girls along this path with the Sparkle Shimmer Shine Project.  

Laura Beus


Comments