Don't Let Your Inner Voice Become Your Outer Voice

 

 Guest Contributor: Caitlin Edwards 
Today I want to talk about kindness, but not in the way you’re thinking right now. I want to talk about being kind to yourself. This is something I’ve struggled with for a long time.


I have 3 small children, and my body changed drastically. I gained a lot of weight and struggled with my self-image. When you look in the mirror, what do you think to yourself? A short time ago I thought mean things about myself. I would call myself fat, chubby, ugly. It became my inner voice. And I don’t know about you, but my inner voice becomes my outer voice over time. I started saying these things out loud. Having an impressionable 6-year-old daughter, this was bad. I finally realized that this was going to affect my daughter in the way she looked and thought of her body. I did NOT want my daughter feeling and thinking that her body was less than perfect. I wanted her to believe the things that I was teaching her. That she was divinely made. That she was perfect the way God made her. That no matter what, she is loved (yes, even by herself!). How could I teach her those things when I didn’t example them myself?

I saw the need to change my way of thinking. It was critical. To correct my way of thinking, I started small. Every time I looked in the mirror, when I thought “ugh, I’m so fat.” I would stop myself and say in my head “You’re beautiful the way you are.”. That started changing my inner voice. I realized that I had housed in my body, 1 child. And then again, I grew 2 children at once. Obviously, my body was going to change! Those stretch marks became badges of honor, the extra pounds didn’t matter anymore because I realized I had 3 perfect children that my body made!

So, my challenge to you is to love yourself for who you are. If you have unkind thoughts about yourself, change them! You are perfect. You were made for a purpose. Be kind to everyone, especially yourself!

Comments