Lettuce or Carrots? The World Needs Variety


Hello again! It’s me, Abigail the Intern! I wanted to talk to you today about self-worth, but not in a way I feel it is most commonly spoken about. I don’t want to talk about the self-worth that is tied to the physical side of everything, this is more of self-worth when it comes to intelligence or talent. I’m talking specifically to all you little sisters out there. 

I was really lucky to be raised in the family I was raised in. My parents were always encouraging us to do our best and try new things. They pushed us to do well in school by having us do worksheets during the summer and they expected our best efforts in everything, but they were never over the top. We never felt smothered or that we didn’t have time to be kids. We were often busy but we enjoyed it, and their pushing really did help us to be successful in most things we put our minds to. Because of this, by the time I came around to school, or church, there was already an expectation of how Hosking Kids were. I was the third of three girls, and then I have a little brother, and I really struggled with this “legacy” my sisters had created.


I spent most of my life feeling inadequate. Did anyone ever tell me my sisters were better? No. Did anyone ever hint that I was less intelligent or talented than my sisters? Never. Am I? NO! We are different, we have different talents and I was so busy worrying about being good enough at what they were good at that I sabotaged myself. I decided that in some things I would not try because then if I ended up “not being as good” I could say “Well I wasn’t trying.” And that made me miss out. That ensured that I was always in the bottom of those activities. I didn’t give myself the chance to excel.
This all changed when I was a Junior (or maybe a Senior?) in High School. I had one thing that had always been my own, and that was Singing and Dancing. I loved to be on stage, so I attended a summer camp for young performers at a University in Utah. There was one day that always stuck with me and has changed how I look at myself. We had just finished auditions for solos and they sat us down and talked to us. The speaker used an analogy of lettuce and carrots. 


They are both good, both good for you, but they are just different. You can’t use a carrot where recipe calls for lettuce, it just doesn’t work that way. So often we are a carrot among lettuce, so when lettuce is chosen that doesn’t mean we are and, we are just different and not what they are looking for. The world needs variety and the world needs you who you are. Sometimes it can be hard because it seems like you are worthless or like you are not good enough, but the sour cream is the last thing on a baked potato but I personally think it is the best part. Sometimes we just have to keep our chin up and wait for our skills to be needed. We can’t compare ourselves to others, they might be lettuce and we might be carrots, comparison is only going to hurt. Be the best you that you can be.

Comments