Living Life Beyond Our Body

 Guest Contributor: Julia 
I never thought I would be at a place in my life where I could love and respect my body. Where I could look in the mirror and not hate my reflection. Not constantly worry about how many calories I ate or how much I weighed. I spent so much of my teenage years and early 20s worrying about my body and how I needed to change it, and it was exhausting. 


It all started when I was about 14 and I realized that my body didn’t look like my friends or even my sister. My friends were all very petite and thin, my sister was super tall and slender, and I was short, curvy, and muscular. 
 
I never thought about my body or how it looked or how much I was eating until people started making comments about it. I was called “potential” in high school because I had “potential” to look like my sister. I was bullied by a boy that would call me “fat ass” as I walked down the hallway, and I started to hate the way I looked. I wasn’t getting attention from boys and I felt inadequate. I decided that I would lose weight. I began working out a lot more and restricting my calories. I was consuming sometimes only 500 calories a day and was exhausted and hungry. 

It got to the point that I couldn’t maintain the low calories and would binge on food at night. I wasn’t even consuming that many calories, but to me it felt like a binge and I get beyond guilty. I felt that I needed to get rid of what I had done and began purging after I ate. I was making myself throw up sometimes 3-4 times a day. 

I then became obsessed with working out and developed orthorexia. I slowly stopped purging my food because I didn’t want to be found out and purged my food by exercise. I was working out 2 hours a day, using MyFitnessPal app for everything I ate, and weighing and measuring myself multiple times a day. 

My life was consumed with how I looked and I felt that being thin would bring me happiness and love. I got down to my goal weight and I thought I would feel thus sense of joy and accomplishment. Instead I get empty. I felt alone. I isolated myself and ruined relationships because I was solely focused on my body and withdrew myself from society. Everybody thought I was fine because I hid behind my humor and on the inside I was miserable. I still didn’t love my body. I wanted to be skinnier, I wanted to more toned, I kept wanting to change it.

I finally realized that I didn’t want to live my life hating the way I look. I didn’t want to pass down my insecurities to my future children. I wanted to be confident in who I was and how I looked. I wanted to attract the right type of people in my life and I needed to start by changing myself. Not changing the way I looked, but changing the way I was thinking. Change my mind. 

I decided to seek out an eating disorder therapist and a nutritionist that specialized in intuitive eating. I dedicated my time to learning to love myself and realized I would rather work hard at changing my thoughts than be miserable at my own reflection. 

Over 2.5 years I worked with Amy about my anxiety and body-image issues. She taught me that my eating disorder voice wasn’t a rational one. That the negative thoughts that flowed through my mind weren’t real. I had to unlearn what I thought about myself. I had to learn how to work through the real root of my issues instead of masking it by obsessively counting calories and working out. I learned to “thought-stop” and crush the negative thoughts as they came in and turn them positive.

I also worked with Tina about my eating and how to intuitively eat and listen to my body. I learned that there is no “good” or “bad” food, and all food can fit into your life. I learned to find enjoyment in all types of food and stopped restricting. I learned that I was an emotional eater (so many of us are!) and I figured out how to listen to my hunger cues versus my emotions. 

I had this huge fear that if I let go of my eating disorder and dieting lifestyle that I would gain a bunch of weight. And guess what, I did gain some weight. But I’ve stayed the same weight (give or take 5lbs) over the last 3 years. My body found its natural state. I can enjoy the foods I love, workout for enjoyment, and live my life! I don’t have to cancel plans with friends in fear of getting off my diet and can eat a cookie without feeling guilty. 

I’ve learned to look at my body with appreciation. To see how much it does for me every single day. I have strong legs to take me all over the world, I have a functioning heart and 2 lungs that help me hike and see beautiful sites, and a tummy that lets me enjoy yummy foods! 
I’ve stopped looking at my body with disgust and focused on its ability, not weight. I’ve learned that I am more than my body and that my body holds a beautiful soul and I need to treat it with respect and love. It’s my home and I need to take care of it. Know that you can love your body, no matter what it looks like. We are all beautiful and unique, and that’s what makes us special! Who cares if you have a belly, cellulite, and stretch marks, you are more than your body! We need to start living our life beyond the body and really find what truly makes us happy humans! 

Comments