5 Reasons Everyone Should Have a Hobby



Hey Sparklers! 
The biggest thing that has happened since I last wrote a blog post was we had a workshop in Rapid City, South Dakota, which means we have hosted a workshop in five states now!! This workshop meant a lot to me, because one of my volunteers from our FIRST workshop was the one who put it together and made it happen. Courtney has supported SSS from the very beginning, and still continues to do so. It means so much to me that someone supports my vision and shares my passion for SSS. SSS loves to travel, so if you want to help us bring a workshop to your state, give us a holler and we will figure it out. 

This blog post I wanted to focus on the importance of Hobbies. My roommate/best friend and I have discussed this simple idea a lot lately. We have noticed that when somebody does not have a hobby they either tend to get into trouble more often or struggle with feelings of unhappiness. Until recently, I forgot how hobbies really do play a key role in happiness.  In the past 8 years I have had very little to no time to enjoy my hobbies. I went through the IB program in High School, attended and graduated college, started working, and had to take on the so called adult responsibilities. The little free time I did have was dedicated toward this lovely organization (if it sounds like I am complaining I promise I do not want to come across that way). Since my schooling is over and I have a lot more help with SSS than I used to, I have time for my hobbies again! 



My hobbies are crafty in nature, because I love doing DIY projects, scrapbooking, and embroidery. It has been weird, but nice, being able to come home from work to spend my evening doing one of those things. Obviously it does not happen every night, but it happens a lot more often than it used to. It is amazing how much happier and relaxed I am because I can take part in things I like to do, solely for the reason that it makes me happy. Taking time for you is so important for one’s emotional well-being, and for one’s sense of self-worth! You are important enough to spend time doing things that are just for you!! If you do not have a hobby I highly encourage you to find one. Govloop.com has some great tips to take into consideration when selecting a hobby. 

·         Challenging: Find something that is progressively more challenging but does not have such a huge learning curve that it will be years before you see any progress.

 
·         Focus on Strengths: It is a good idea to focus on something that you have some natural ability at. If you are scared of heights you would not try rock climbing and if you don’t like being outside you probably would not take up mountain biking. Take into account your fitness level, finances, education and passion when choosing a hobby.

 

·         Stress: Take into consideration the level of stress that the hobby has.


Once you find your hobby please take time to do your hobby! You will feel much more fulfilled and worthwhile if you do, I promise you that. As usual, I am thankful for all of our Sparklers and your continual and never-ending support.

With Love, Ciara Ann

Comments