Atlanta, Georgia was a SUCCESS!



Hey all! I wanted to tell you about how cool it was getting to visit and host a workshop in Georgia! It was literally surreal that I was being flown out somewhere I have never been before to do something I love doing! Chandra from Originally You was the one who raised the money and paid for us to come out. We had been in contact for a while so finally meeting her in person was so nice. She has such a warm heart that just wants to help people! Such a wonderful lady!  Honestly one of my favorite parts about running the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project is all of the people I get to meet. I get to know and meet so many kind hearted people who just care about making people feel valued. Meeting these individuals really helps me see the glass as half full when viewing society. Chandra wasn’t the only sweetheart we had the chance to meet in Georgia. The volunteers and the girls who attended the workshop were just as awesome and made my heart happy. I was running on little sleep but the girls we met in Georgia made it so worth it!!!
 

Every workshop there is a moment where something happens that makes me go, “This is why I do what I do.” I wanted to share that moment of this workshop with you. Two girls came who were friends and they were talking about how they were bullied because people thought they were different. Well another girl there joined in on the conversation and when the 3 of them started talking they realized how much they had in common, which led to an instant friendship. By the end of the workshop you would have thought the 3 had been friends for years. As they were leaving they exchanged numbers and snapchats and vowed to keep in touch to hang out. These 3 girls, who struggled with having friends because their peers thought they were different, were able to come together to learn who they are is okay and make new friends in the process! That is EXACTLY what the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project is about. 


Once the workshop was over I had the chance to see some extended family, a special friend of mine, and do some sightseeing. I LOVED Atlanta and it is now one of my favorite cities. I am thinking I loved Atlanta for the reason that even though it is packed full (like every city is) there is still a sense of tranquility there that doesn’t usually coincide with the hustle and bustle of city life. I am sure I will be back in Atlanta again and I am grateful for this experience to begin leaving our trail of sparkle there, because this is only the beginning of our presence in Georgia... and the rest of the county for the matter!!  Ciara


Comments