It's Best to Learn Responsibility In Your Youth



Hey there Sparklers!

Today, I want to talk about responsibility.  I know this seems like a weird topic and may seem out of place on this blog, but I promise that by the end, it will all tie together!  

So, I have been interning for the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project for a good seven weeks now!  There are lots of tasks and jobs that I have done throughout this time to help us grow.  A lot of those tasks include calling lots and lots of people from other groups and organizations.  I noticed a very strong trend in people, THEY HATE TO ANSWER THE PHONE! 



For every 10 people I called, one secretary would answer the phone, and for every ten secretaries I called, I would get passed on to the person I needed to talk to and actually talk to them.  Most of the time I have to leave a message on the secretary’s voice mail about what we do, and when I get really lucky, I get to leave a voicemail on the intended person’s voice mail!  But, get this ladies, no one ever called me back after I left a voicemail.  I would try my delivery on our message differently, sound super cheery and peppy, I would leave my phone number and my email.  No matter what I do though, I don’t get calls back.  The no answer trend also extended into emails as well.  I did notice though, that when I email people they respond back to me about 30% of the time!  So hey, that is 20% up from the phone calls!  

I remember talking to Ciara about this many times, and we decided that a lot of adults are not good at “adulting” now-a-days.  A big part of any job is being able to communicate with others.  There is always a need for interaction within organizations and between organizations.  I learned that even if talking to new people is scary or weird, it is one of our responsibilities as people in the work force! 
I realize that you younger gals may be asking, how does this adulting rant affect me?  Well, it is best to learn to be responsible in your youth.  

The habits you develop now and the work ethic you develop now, will carry on with you throughout your college and working years.  One of our five pillars of self-esteem is Making Your Mark.  This means that you use your talents to help others.  Learning to be responsible will make it easier for you to make your mark.  If you promised to talk to someone or give someone a ride, or maybe participate in a service project, it is important to follow through.  If we aren’t responsible for the things we promise to do, people will no longer want to work with us, and they won’t trust us either.  
We grow more as we practice responsibility.  For example, guess what?!  I am not a fan of calling people I do not know.  I know, it’s crazy that I am saying that, because I was just ranting about other people not answering.  What I have noticed in this internship is, the more I call people, the easier is becomes.  Also, the more I talk to people in general, the easier it becomes.  As I am responsible about my tasks in general, the tasks and jobs seems to become more doable.  I feel like I am progressing as a worker as I fulfill my duties.  This happens to everyone!  As we strive to do what we are supposed to do, how we are supposed to do it, we will grow and enjoy our work more.  This extends from work, to school, to service. 
 
Let us all make goals to be more responsible in our jobs, schools, and more.  We will feel more fulfilled as we do, and we will shine more! 

Love ya’ll,
Alyssa Olson

Comments