Rock Star Moms Who Let Their Tween and Teen Girls Color Their Hair!



In the past few weeks I’ve been delighted to see several young girls in our church choose to express their individuality by coloring their hair a bright color. It took me right back to memories with my own daughter at that age. Tween years and middle school years can be so rough for a variety of reasons, but I think the push to define which group you belong to, what “style” you categorize yourself into, and how you can stand out from others is one of the biggest challenges.  


For my daughter, part of that exploration came by coloring her hair pink. I was a little hesitant with her coloring all of her hair, so we compromised on a bright pink under layer. For some moms it’s a struggle to decide to let their kids do something so bold, but for me I remember thinking that coloring her hair was the least of the “challenges and concerns” I would have through her teen years. Looking back, it was also a fun way for us to bond and spend time together. I did most of the coloring myself, so we spent time shopping for product, discussing new colors, and spent A LOT of time doing constant touch ups to keep it the vibrant pink she wanted. 





I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this simple topic the last few days and then wondering why I was doing so. Ultimately I think I’m proud of these two moms and the many others that allow their girls to express themselves in a non-harmful way. I’m proud of the moms for not worrying about what anyone else has to say about the situation or the judgement that may come from doing so. I’m proud of the moms for taking the time to have this discussion with their daughters and making a decision together.  I’m proud of these moms for making their daughters a priority in the moment and giving in to something that makes their daughters happy at an age when life can be so tough. 




Thank you Melissa and Tamara for being rock star moms this week and making me smile!   Michelle 


Comments