Take Care of Your Body & Be the Healthiest You!


Good Morning Sparklers,

I recently got my degree in exercise science. Basically what that program taught me was how important and beneficial it is for us to move our bodies and stay active. Here are a few things that I always tell people when they tell me that they are thinking about starting a new routine.


What to do: The most important step to getting active and sticking to it is finding things that you actually enjoy doing. For example, I hate running so I’m not going to try to force myself to do it. I choose to do things I love instead like riding my bike, climbing, and doing yoga.
If you don’t know where to start, my favorite list of activities to choose from can be found HERE. Once you’ve chosen a few that sound fun to you, go out and try them. If you decide you don’t like it, move on and try something else until you find something that makes you want to keep going. It will be so much easier for you to stick to a routine if you have fun doing it. Another thing to remember is if you want to try yoga or a group class but don’t want to spend the money for something you may not like, try finding some videos online so you can try it at home first. Also if you are afraid of going to a group class alone, don’t be! The instructors are super friendly and if you have any questions about the class, they are more than happy to answer any questions. Plus, everyone else is too focused on their own workout to worry about anyone else in the class.

Where to do it: Think about the environment that motivates you. If you like interacting with people, try a group class or a new sport. If you hate the gym, don’t get a gym membership! Try to find something you can do at home or around your neighborhood instead. Putting yourself in an uncomfortable position will bring you right back to where you started. 

When to do it: If you have a pretty regular schedule, pick a time every day that works for you. If you’re schedule looks different every week, take 5 minutes Sunday night to put your activity time in your schedule. Also make sure you pick a time that you can work with. If you aren’t a morning person, don’t try to force yourself to get up early every morning because that snooze button will be more and more tempting every day. For those of you that like to get comfy the second you walk in the door, make sure you plan your activities before you get home for the day. 

Accountability and support: Everyone always says to find a workout buddy to hold each other accountable and to reduce the fear and discomfort of doing things alone. This definitely works for some people, but I have found that sometimes it’s really hard to find a person that wants to do the same things you want, at the same time, and actually commit to it. If you can find someone that wants to join you, that’s great. But don’t make this the thing that stops you from doing what you want to do. If you want to start running, you have to just do it. Don’t overthink it. Just go and do it and don’t worry about whether or not someone is going to go with you. Once you start going and doing things, eventually you’ll meet other people that have similar interests and you’ll make friends along the way. If you can’t find someone that wants to start with you, don’t let it be your excuse for not staying active. 

Focus on the process, not the outcome: Many people start this process because they want to lose weight or be more fit and while it’s great to know what you want to get out of it, think about how you want to feel when you’re doing the activities you choose to do. Try not to be so focused on the outcome that you lose sight of how much fun you’re having and how your body feels when you’re up and moving. What helps me, especially when my brain is trying to talk me out of doing something, is thinking about how I’ll feel afterwards. I used to try to talk myself out of going to yoga a lot, but I would force myself to go even if I didn’t feel like it because I knew that it would make me feel so much better. Like I said, start your new routine, keep at it, stay disciplined, and be present in whatever activity you are involved in. 

Happy moving, Ashley





Comments