My Experiences with SSS Workshops

Hello, my name is Shannan and I found out about the Shimmer Sparkle Shine project through Ciara. I knew Ciara from church and she used to babysit me. Funny story, the first time Ciara came over to babysit me and my brothers I thought that my parents left us with a kid because of how short she was.

When I was about 9 or 10, I got invited to go to a workshop and bring a friend with me. During the workshop we made boost books, which is a book where you write things to help you feel better about yourself. After the workshop, I used the boost book when I wasn’t feeling good about myself. I would just read the good things I wrote in it and I would feel better about myself. During the workshop, we also got makeovers, which is something SSS Project no longer does, but was one of my favorite things we did. After the makeovers we had a photo shoot. The thing I remember the most about the whole experience is that I felt good about myself after participating in the workshop.





Now I’m 15 years old and going to be a sophomore in high school. Last summer I got asked to help with one of the SSS Project’s workshops. I decided to do it because I remembered how it made me feel when I was younger. As a volunteer I got to run the station “Comfort in your Own Skin.” In this station girls learn the difference between what is photo shopped and what is real. They also learn that it is OK to be and look the way you are. At one point I asked each girl to tell me what her best feature was. I noticed that many of the girls hesitated before answering. It seemed like they had a hard time thinking of something. I also showed the girls pictures of celebrities before and after photo shop, then we talked about what it means to be comfortable in your own skin. I felt like I helped those girls be comfortable with how they look and who they are and helping them helped me to feel good about myself as well. 


 
This summer I was asked again to help with another workshop. This time I picked the “Healthy Living” station, because I felt that’s the one I would do the best at running. Before we started stations, we played some get to know you games and helped the girls make their boost books. While we were making boost books, I noticed one little girl just sitting there staring at her blank book. She didn’t seem to know what she should do. I went over and sat next to her and helped her make the boost book. She seemed really happy once I did that and was able to make a great book. It made me feel good that I was able to help someone participate and enjoy the experience more.  
My station was the first station the girls visited. I taught them that healthy living is not only physical but emotional as well. We played an active bingo game to show the girls that there are fun ways to get exercise and be active. Then I ran a group meditation to help the girls learn how to calm their minds and cope with hard things. Both of these activities helped the girls better understand the importance of physical and emotional health. As I was running this station I felt good about myself and felt like I was able to help these young girls understand better that emotional and physical health is very important.
 
I think the Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine Project is important because, it helps young girls learn how to feel good about who they are. The SSS Project has inspired and even changed some people. That is a big deal even if it’s only a small change.

Love Shannan

Comments