Love Yourself Now...Not Later!



One of the reasons I joined the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project was because I was bullied as a kid and being the oldest of my siblings I didn't really have anyone to look up to or talk to about my bullying. I've always had a lot of body hair (well at least more than the norm) and because of that, with the mix of middle schoolers and puberty, it was easy for bullies to target me. They'd say things like, "doesn't she know how to use a razor," and laugh at me or just stare at my arms and legs. I remember going home to my mom crying and begging her to let me shave my legs in sixth grade. She let me! I was so embarrassed of my arms, that I would wear long sleeves all year long. It didn't matter how hot it was or if it was gym class, I wouldn't let anyone see my arms out of fear of being taunted and made fun of. The most painful memory from those years, was when I liked a boy I had my friends go and tell him during recess. I thought maybe he'll like me too! But his response was not only the opposite... but hurtful. He had said that liking me would be gross because I had so much hair. That really struck me hard back then, but now I don't even mind my hair. With time I realized that many people had hair and basically everyone either took it off or didn't. I now now that it doesn't really matter what you chose to do with it because it's about your choice and what makes you feel comfortable. You don't need to choose what you look like for other people, you do it for yourself and you choose what makes you happy. That's why I wanted to be a part of SSS because I love the fact that I can tell a young girl to love themselves now, not later. All girls deserve to love themselves! 




Comments