Choosing Your Own Path

Something that has always bothered me is when people decide to go to school for something they do not enjoy. I have so many friends that hate their majors and can barely make good grades because they can't pay attention to whatever subject they're being taught. And the sad part is that they had the choice to decide what they'd like to do for their future, but instead of choosing for themselves they decided because they wanted to make other people happy. I've faced this problem with my father and I even wasted my whole freshman year on studying a major only he wanted and not the one I truly wanted to pursue. But I changed it. I finally decided to change it to what I actually loved and loved doing. I wanted to become a teacher because I love working with kids. They inspire me and I only hope that I can do the same. And sadly my father does not see that. Every day he reminds me of how being a teacher won't make me a millionaire, one time he even made me take a calculator and see how "poor" I would be if I was a teacher. But instead of letting that get me down and ruining what I wanted to do, it pushed me further into wanting it more. I work at a daycare now and I love it more than anything. Those children make me happy and when I see that I actually taught them something, it makes me feel like I changed the world in some little way. So if someone ever tells you that you shouldn't or can't do something, don't quit. Because I believe that your happiness come first, if you're not happy, how can you help others be as well?   Love, Xochil




Comments