Who Do You Wish You Looked Like?

Happy Holidays Sparklers!

I hope you all have enjoyed our holiday season this year! For this post I wanted to take time and tell you about an experience I had a few months ago. My old roommate, Lindsay, asked if she could photograph and interview me for her senior project titled “Your First Home.” She describes it as “a social commentary, made up of photos and interviews that examine the complex relationship between perception and reality in the media and how it affects the way we perceive ourselves.”

For part of her project she interviews different women, and photographs them with projected images of other women they wish they looked like, while being all natural (meaning make-up free). When it was my turn, she asked me who I wish I look liked. I was pleasantly surprised by how much this question stumped me. There are physical aspects of myself I wish I could change or improve on, but I do not think I have ever looked at a celebrity and been like, “wow I really aspire to look like her.” I believe Lindsay was a little taken off guard by how hard it was for me to think of women I wish I looked like. 

I could think of women who I thought were beautiful and who I wished I had certain physical traits of, but no one I wish I could fully look like. I named people like Zooey Deschanel (New Girl), Meghan Trainor (pop singer), and Whitney Thompson (first plus size winner of America’s Next Top Model). Then my current “women crush” Christina Hendricks came to mind, because since my obsession with Mad Men I have tried so many times to dye my hair to be like hers and just find her beautiful! 



Yet, I don’t wish I looked like any of these women. I wanted either their hair, or their eyes, but not to be them. I thought about it more in depth, and I cannot remember a time where I ever truly wished I looked like somebody else! This realization brought to comfort to me, and made me realize that maybe my body image is better than I have thought over the years. Coming to terms that I am okay with me, and the physical characteristics that I am born with, has led to such a peaceful mind set, and I wish I would have realized this sooner! 

For this upcoming New Year I want to challenge all sparklers to transition their mindset to not wanting to look like or be like anyone else but themselves. It is normal for there to be certain aspects we want to change or improve on, but I do not want you wishing you saw somebody else when you look at yourself in the mirror. I promise when this happens, you will be so much happier with yourself.


To see more of the images Lindsay took of me, read my interview, and explore more of her project, please follow the link to her website. It is pretty awesome and definitely earns the Shimmer Sparkle Shine Project’s stamp of approval! 


With Love,
Ciara

Comments