Dealing With Fear



In the last year I’ve realized how much I let fear control my life. When I was young I was afraid to drown, so I didn’t learn how to swim until I was 8. I was afraid of falling off a bike and getting hurt, so I didn’t learn to ride one without training wheels until I was 7. I was afraid to be wrong, so I hardly ever participated in classes.
I know those may sound like small things, but I believe that the small things become the big things. I let my fear of riding a bike translate to fear of driving and didn’t get my license until after I turned 17. I still get anxious when I speak up in class or at work, even when I know I’m right or I know I have a good idea.Ultimately, my fears held me back from trying and experiencing a lot of things. Here’s the advice I would give to my younger self that I hope all you Sparklers will be able to use too:

Start Small
I’m not saying that you should make a list of your biggest fears and go try to face them all right away. Start with some manageable things first. Make a list of things that only make you a little bit uncomfortable and work with those before moving on to some of the big ones. And take tiny steps to overcoming some of the things you are afraid of. Go slow and don’t beat yourself up if you are having a hard time at first. You’ll get there eventually if you keep trying. 

Notice and Observe
Awareness is the key to understanding and overcoming fear. Notice how it makes your body feel and how it changes your thoughts. Sit with your fear and start trying to understand and recognize it. 

Get to the “Why”
Sit down and ask yourself why you are afraid. You’ll be surprised to find that most of your reasons don’t really make a whole lot of sense. For example, I was afraid of swimming because I was scared that I couldn’t and that I would end up drowning. Did I really think that my parents would just sit there and watch me sink and die right in front of them if I jumped into the pool without floaties? I really did. I really thought that no one would realize I needed help. I also thought that I physically couldn’t do it. I thought I would just sink like a rock even though my sister was swimming just fine right in front of me. I didn’t even realize that this was how my fearful brain was thinking until I was a lot older. So try it. Write it all out and continue to ask yourself why. Then reread it and see how much you lie to yourself when you are afraid. 

Change the “What ifs”
We all do this when we are scared. We answer all the negative what if questions we can think of. What if they don’t like me? What if they are mean to me? What if they laugh at me? Write out those questions and answer all of them. Remember that you can only control how you think and react. If something doesn’t go the way you want it to, change how you think about the way it turns out. Everything happens for a reason. If that person you want to try to be friends with doesn’t like you, it means they weren’t meant to be your friend and if you forced it, you would end up with a bad friend that would only tear you down and make you miserable. Know that if you end up experiencing something negative, it’s almost always a blessing in disguise.
The other side of this is to take those what ifs and make them positive. What if they do like you? What if they are nice to you? What if they laugh with you? Then that’s great and you will have gained a new friend.
There’s no way to know for sure how something will turn out if you let your fear talk you out of doing it. And inaction is the surest way to create pain and regret. 

What’s the worst that could happen?
Another question you can ask yourself. Write out the worst case scenario. In most cases it really isn’t as bad as your fear would have you believe. 

Practice
Now that you have identified your fears and how they make you think and feel you can make strategies for how to work through it. It’s not going to be easy but it will be rewarding because facing our fear is the path to growth and new opportunities.

-Ashley



Comments