Calorie Counting and Integrity


Something I thought I would never do is watch what I eat. Let alone count calories. Yet here I am, doing just that. And let me tell you just how hard that is. You see, I am Mexican-American, and if you don't already know what our culture's food is based on, well let me tell you. Carbs. Fats. And amazingness. Also known as more fats. I LOVE the food my grandmother makes, I have grown up eating it and only recognizing how savory it is, but when I actually took the time to figure out how many calories is in one of her tamales...well Christmas won't be as filling as it was last year. I don’t want you to think that I'm doing this because I want to become skinny (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I actually want to get big. By counting calories. Yes. You see I recently have gotten into body building, and I don't ever plan on actually competing but just the integrity and dedication that I see them put into their gym time and food astounds me.
Prior to actually attempting to count those evil calories, I thought that maybe it wasn’t going to be that hard. I was so wrong. I was so used to eating up to 3000-4000 calories a day and now I'm at 1600 calories a day. Almost half of what I used to eat! The harder part is that I can't eat things like sandwiches because all their ingredients add up and what looks like a healthy sandwich could be half my calories for the day. Not only is it difficult that most foods are too high in calories but having to deal with people judging me for my choices is another feat I have to go through. Everyone thinks I'm out of my mind for limiting myself to everyday delights like ice cream or cookies and you would think that I could just ignore their judgments but sometimes even that is hard. My parents, grandparents, friends, everyone who is supposed to support me in what you think would be anything, don't. They see me as someone who is truly crazy.
But instead of just letting it get me down and letting myself give into temptation, I don't. It empowers me when I see that I passed up that candy bar for a protein bar or when I see that my biceps have grown and can now beat my brothers at arm wrestling. All that criticism and crazy thoughts about me drove me to keep reaching my goal and to slowly obtain my body building dream. So when you feel like maybe you are crazy for doing something, do it, because chances are, you're just doing something others can't. And that's awesome. 

 
Dana Linn Bailey-My inspiration and Women's Physique Pro

Have a great week sparklers, Xochil

Comments