Trick or Treat: Tricks hidden in our “healthy” treats





Hi Sparklers, 
 
With Halloween comes pumpkin patches, adorable costumes, and loads of sugary, delicious candy! I figured this was the perfect opportunity to write about the importance of -- bear with me -- a healthy and balanced diet without sugar.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’ll be the first person to admit I love homemade desserts, a huge cup of coffee in the morning loaded with sugar and cream, and chocolate. Seriously. There was a point in my life where life’s sweetest treats were the highlight of my day. Sugar cravings would hit, and I would willingly submit to them, especially while studying or going to classes during college. (Really though, who doesn’t love a little pick-me-up while the teacher’s monotone history lesson is just begging to carry you off to la-la land?!) Reality set in when I graduated and had to start “adulting” and preparing my own food daily. Constant meal-prep coupled with health problems that demanded a lifestyle and dietary change, I quickly realized just how hard it is to consistently eat foods we consider to be “healthy” without any added sugar.

I strongly suggest checking out this Article and Movie Preivew about Australian filmaker Damon Gameau; his most recent documentary captures him attempting to eat 40 teaspoons of sugar a day for 60 days (the average amount an Australian eats in a day). The health repercussions were visibly noticeable and took a tremendous toll on his body. The craziest part? He ate foods that most people consider to be “healthy” options, like low-fat and reduced fat foods. It’s just a testimony to the fact that no matter how healthy we try to be, the majority of all food we eat has tons of added sugar.

For my diet, I cut out all refined and most natural sugars, wheat and gluten, soy, and dairy. The hardest of them all to cut out? Sugar. Certain things like apples or raw honey have natural sugar, and those are usually okay, but seriously?! Grocery shopping and cutting out sugar is next to impossible.

Note: I’ve been extreme with my dietary changes for personal health reasons. Everything is okay in moderation and different foods are processed by individuals differently! It’s been extremely eye-opening for me to see just how much of the food America consumes has additional sugar.

Sugar is hidden in everything we eat, not just in our favorite treats like candy and dessert! Apart from the well known sugar ingredients like high fructose corn syrup or glucose, the added sugar is hidden by terms like agave syrup, black strap molasses, or dextran. If you’re interested in the different variations of refined sugars hidden in your food, here is a complete list for you to print of the 57 Names Used For Sugar.

Even with my dietary restrictions, I still have a cheat day once a week where I allow myself treats and a delicious meal or baked good. (Dr. S, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry...but I’m not sorry!). It helps to have some treats here and there so I don’t overindulge.

I’ll wrap it up with this, I’m not suggesting that anyone should completely cross every food item with any form of sugar off of there grocery list, but knowing what you’re putting into your body is crucial to good health and your happiness. Start taking care of you by being informed!

These are just my personal opinions, and if it encouraged anyone to learn something, that’s great.

Until next time!
- Casey

Comments