Behind the Sparkle...Meet Alicia

Hello Sparklers! 

For this week’s post I wanted to introduce myself and let you all know how I came to be involved in this wonderful organization. 

First things first, a little about me. I’m a mother of 4 very different and unique children. My oldest child, and only girl, Shannan, just turned 14 years old and will be starting high school in the fall. Yikes! My boys, Justin-12, Zach-9, and Caleb-6, are all active, busy, and certainly destructive boys. For the past several years I have worked as an addiction counselor for various residential treatment centers in the Denver area. Recently I completed my Master’s degree in School Counseling and landed a job working at a Gifted and Talented School Counselor in Jefferson County. I get to work with kids at 2 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 1 high school. I absolutely love my new job!
I may be the newest addition to the SSS project, but I’ve known Ciara and Michelle since Ciara was about 8 years old. I’ve had the honor of watching Ciara grow up all these years and I’ve seen her do some amazing things while overcoming immense obstacles. One of the amazing things she’s done is start the SSS Project! My daughter, Shannan, was lucky enough to attend one of the SSS Project’s first workshops. It was a wonderful experience for her and I was instantly sold on this organization.
All bias aside, as I‘ve moved into the schools with my career, I’ve realized more and more the need for an organization like the SSS Project. Too many young girls struggle with self-esteem issues. They are bombarded with negative messages and an unobtainable ideal of beauty. The SSS Project workshops address these issues in a fun, interactive way, and I think every young girl should have the opportunity to attend one of these workshops!


 About 4 months ago Ciara asked me if I was interested in being on the board, and I was excited! Not only do I love and respect Ciara on so many levels, but I truly believe in the mission of the SSS Project. I believe that the SSS Project really does make a difference in the lives of young girls. The more I talk to girls, and parents of girls, the more I hear that the SSS Project is needed. I am so excited to be able to help get the SSS Project out to the world. 

Since I’m new to the board, I’m still learning, but I’ve already been able to see some exciting things happen. I look forward to helping this organization grow and I’m honored to be working with Ciara and all the board members.      

Alicia

Comments