What Are Your Strengths?

Recently I started running Girls Groups at some of my schools. This past week I presented Share Your Sparkle Day on May 13th as an opportunity for these girls to step outside of the group and make their mark. This led to a lot of discussion about our talents and strengths. Unfortunately, many of the girls couldn’t think of even one strength that they had. It was heartbreaking to see such young girls unable to find a talent and/or strength in themselves. 
 
At the same time I’ve been organizing and running these Girls Groups, I’ve also been helping to organize a fundraiser for the girls at my church. These girls were trying to raise enough money to pay for their summer camp. The fundraiser was a spaghetti dinner and a silent auction. We asked people to donate something, either an item or a service, to the silent auction. As one of the leaders, I was expected to donate something as well, but I had a really hard time coming up with an idea of something I could donate. 
 
As I read over the list of donations, I was impressed with all the varied talents, skills, and strengths that people were using to help with this fundraiser, but I also compared my own talents to those on the list and found that I didn’t measure up. When I saw someone who had donated their sewing talent, I thought, “Not me, I can’t do that even a little bit.” When I saw someone who donated their tutoring talent I thought, “No one wants me tutoring their kid.” And on and on I went through the list. I thought long and hard about what I could contribute and couldn’t come up with anything I thought was good enough. Why would anyone bid on something I have to offer? 
 
One day after work, I was thinking about my Girls Groups and wracking my brain for a way to help them realize their talents and strengths, when it hit me that I was just like them! While trying to come up with an idea for the auction, I couldn’t come up with even one talent or strength I had that I could donate. All I could do was focus on what I couldn’t do instead of what I could do. How often do we all do this? Why do we spend more time focusing on the things we can’t do rather than the things we can do? Somehow we start to learn at a young age that because our best is not as good as someone else’s best, it’s not good enough. Then I remembered something else I told the girls in my groups. I told them that it didn’t matter if they were the best at the thing they were good at, it only mattered that they were good at it. 
 
I changed my attitude immediately and started thinking about all of the things I could do. I ended up donating a box of cupcakes I decorated. These were not the fanciest and best decorated cupcakes ever, but they looked pretty good, and you know what? They got bid on by at least two people! I may not be the best at anything, but I am good at a whole lot of things and that is good enough. At least it should be.
 
So I want to challenge all of you Sparklers today. When you’re thinking about what you can do on Share Your Sparkle Day, start out by thinking of all the things you can do and remember, your best is always good enough!   Alicia 




Comments