Being THE SSS Project Mom!


Hi Sparklers,

Sparkler Mom here! I’m super excited to be writing this blog post for Mother’s Day. My official role in SSS is currently Secretary and the Administrator behind our Facebook page and the SSS Blog. What I really consider myself is THE SSS mom and most importantly, Ciara’s mom. Like most moms, I think of myself as the woman behind the scenes. Over the years, I’ve been the one to run the last minute errands, print materials, get Ciara to meetings with lawyers, spend money out of my pocket, make sure the workshop storage tubs are full with what supplies, spend endless hours looking for plastic Tiara’s and “occasionally” I take credit for some of the awesome ideas we use. 

 
Normally, it’s our children writing about our moms, but today I’m reversing the roles just a bit and writing about my daughter Ciara. What can I say, other then I couldn’t be prouder of what she’s accomplished with the Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine Project. With that being said, the dream and inspiration behind SSS came from a place of pain. Looking back as a parent, it’s normal to question what if and what could I have done differently. Her story of why she started SSS and the day of her greatest heartache includes me and how I let her down. We’ve had many talks and she tells me, I did what I thought was best, but I don’t think she really understood my thought process on that day until just recently.

My Little Ms. Ciara

The teasing for Ciara started in elementary and only got worse when she got to middle school. I was not a vocal mom, nor did I show up at the school to cause a scene when I knew some of the things that were happening. With that being said, I listened daily, gave advice and what I thought were skills to deal with the situations. I knew her teachers were aware and I thought that would help resolve the issue and I was obviously wrong. On the particular day she talks about having to leave school, she was so excited to wear her new “Baby Phat” shirt, she had picked out from her dad. From the moment she wanted it, I thought it was a bad idea. Her weight and size had always been a main factor for bullying and this shirt to me was just an open door for even more bullying. When she came to me that morning and asked about wearing the shirt with leggings or jeans, I was more focused on the shirt and not so much what she was wearing with it. When she called that day, crying and asking to be picked up, my heart broke. I immediately, thought I should have been more vocal about my concerns, but what would I have said to her that morning? That year, I probably picked her up sick from school, at least once a week. She complained about stomach problems constantly, we visited the doctor regularly to try and alleviate the problem, but really it was an escape for her.

This coming Wednesday, May 13, is Share Your Sparkle Day. I kept thinking about how I was going to tie in my “Mothers Day” blog post to the event coming up and then it hit me! While supporting Ciara during those hard times, I spent every moment emphasizing how she could share her own sparkle. I fed her interest, I redirected her thoughts to things that made her happy and would lift her. I taught her that sharing HER sparkle with others, was really the key to ultimate happiness. I tried to direct her spiritually, so she alone could realize her own individual worth and divine potential.

Ciara in the Percussions Band

Ciara Bridging in Girl Scouts

Ciara Running a Food Drive for Church

Ciara dressed as Nancy Drew for Halloween

Ciara being inducted into National Honor Society in Middle School

I might not have had the right answer that ONE day, but I think I got it right in the long run. Now sparklers, I challenge you to Share Your Sparkle this week. Sometimes it’s a challenge to find that inner sparkle, but we all have something that SHINES! Something as small as a smile or hug, is sometimes the only talent we need.

Love, Michelle


Being Silly, What We Do Best Together!

Comments