Authentic Self

Going to college means not getting to see some of your best friends as often as you’d like which is both a great thing and a sad thing at the same time. Great because it gives you the opportunity to branch out and connect with new, amazing people and sad because you miss your friends and you wish you could be sharing some of these new experiences with them. But you still find time to see each other when you are on break or when you’re both home for a weekend. So one of my best friends, who just happens to also be the founder of SSS, gets done with school much earlier than I do so she stayed at my apartment for a weekend recently and we had so much fun. I learned a wonderful lesson the first night she was there. We stayed in and simply talked and planned the rest of the weekend that night but I had so much fun and laughed so much more in that one night than I had in a while.
The reason that I was laughing so hard all night was because she did not have a filter that night. She was being herself completely, saying and doing what she wanted. She wasn’t holding back and I loved it.
 I realized in those moments how beautiful friendships can be. It’s a wonderful thing to be able to have the freedom to be yourself completely without fearing judgement from another person. You know that they will still love you and care about you even if you do something silly.
The question that this situation brought up for me was this: Why can’t we be who we are with everyone? Why do we hide our authentic selves from the world?
I think the answer is that we fear rejection and judgement. We are afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing but the problem with that is that oftentimes we end up hiding who we really are when we shouldn’t. We should be our authentic selves with everyone. And while it’s true that you will clash with certain people, you will be able to make deeper connections with the right people and make them more quickly if you don’t try to be different or only show certain sides of yourself. Not only that but you will feel more alive if you choose not to hold back who you are.
Ciara is one of the most beautiful people I know and just being her friend teaches me ways that I can be a better friend to others and how amazing life can be when you choose to be yourself regardless of what others may think of you. 

So Sparklers, don’t be afraid to be your authentic selves. You are all uniquely beautiful and the world will be a brighter and more wonderful place if we all learn to stop hiding behind the walls we have let our fear build around us. 

 
 
-Ashley

Comments