Pay Attention to the Good Role Models In Your Life

Hey Sparklers!

One of my favorite professors from BYU-Idaho just retired. I started to look back at the classes I took from him and everything that he taught me. I wish that I would have paid more attention to everything he taught me in class now, because I will never have the opportunity to take a class from him again, or go to his office and ask questions and get help.
I was having a hard time coming up with something to blog about, and my husband Kyle, asked, “Why don’t you write about professors or people you look up to?” He is a genius! I want to talk to you all about how important it is to find good role models in your life and really pay attention to the things they teach you. Me losing a professor that I looked up to made me realize that we won’t always have our role models around to help us in school, work, or even life in general. It is important to learn all the good we can from our role models, and then spread the knowledge and wisdom.
Think about the people in your life you look up to and admire? Maybe it’s one of your parents, a teacher, or a friend. What would happen if they moved away from you or even passed away? Life would not be the same. When we live with our parents, they give us a lot of good advice on how to live a good life and do well in school and work. They teach us how to serve and love others. How often do we take our parents seriously when they take those precious moments to teach us? Awesome teachers in high schools try so hard to prepare their students for the real world and for college. How often do we text in class or roll our eyes and say “whatever?”
I think to become more confident with ourselves and believe in ourselves, we really need to internalize what our role models teach us when they are around. My professor had worked as a professor his whole adult life, he was well traveled, and well versed in political issues (he is a political science professor). I learned a lot from him, but I feel like he taught more than just information. He taught people how to think critically and express their opinions. He showed us how others think and feel about issues. I wish I would’ve taken his classes more seriously and learned more about how the world works.
I guess what I want to say is, pay attention to what your role models tell you and how they act. Whoever you decide is a role model in your life, try to emulate what they do and say. It will help you grow into a more confident woman! When we become more like the people we love and admire, we will feel so happy! That is a lesson I learned this week. Learn from others while you can! Someday they may not be in your life anymore and the opportunity will be gone!
Sparklers, you are all amazing girls and women! I hope to learn from all of you throughout my life, so I can become more self-confident and a better woman!
With love,
Alyssa


Comments