Finding My Essence...In My Eyes


During my cancer treatment, experiencing losses, one after another, of everything that defined me as a woman, I was facing the seemingly insurmountable task of building something out of the shell that remained.  I liken it to the breaking of the spirit that takes place during basic training in the armed services, before the military builds the machine they desire out of what is left.  Losing my hair was just one more loss in my journey…but somehow it became more than that.  The final shaving was so traumatic I couldn’t look in the mirror for two weeks.  


This is right after it was all shaved off. I now looked as sick as I felt.

Then, one day, as I stepped out of the shower, I caught sight of this very unfamiliar person in the mirror.  I forced myself to look…and found something surprising.  All I could see were my eyes.  I recognized myself immediately, and felt a comforting sigh come over me.  “Oh…THERE I am”.  That was the beginning of the new me.  I had found the essence my self, with nothing left to hide her.  And she was all I needed, to begin again, and to build a new me.


I didn't wear wigs. I preferred nothing at all or just a bandanna. I was comfortable and realized there was much more to me than my appearance. My confidence grew, along with my soul.

Carrie Kollmar

Comments